The Next Regular Third Order meeting will be Sunday, June 9th, 2019, Pentecost Sunday, following the 10:15 am High Mass (about 12:30 pm).
There are two books required for this year, 2018-9:
- For the fall: Augustine's treatise on the Sermon on the Mount.
- This is the best value available: <https://www.newcitypress.com/new-testament-i-and-ii-study-edition.html>
- It is also available free online here: <http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1601.htm>
- For the winter and spring: Augustine's homilies on the Psalms, "Essential Expositions On The Psalms".
- Preferred edition: <https://www.newcitypress.com/essential-expositions-of-the-psalms-classroom-resource-edition.html>
- If you cannot afford this edition, they can be found online, though it is not as useful/reliable as one would like: <http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1801.htm>
Note: The Winter general meetings have these particular pages "Essential Expositions On The Psalms" assigned for reading:
For the June 9th meeting: St. Augustine's commentary on Psalm 41; and an optional reading of St. Augustine's Sermon on Psalm 83 (below).
For the May 19th meeting: St. Augustine's commentaries on Psalms 54 & 72, pp. 339-367 and 241-265.
For the April 7th meeting: St. Augustine's commentary no. 1 on Psalm 33 (pp. 113-123).
For the March 10th meeting: St. Augustine's commentary on Psalm 140 (pp. 267-294).
For the February 10th meeting: the value of the psalms, according to the insights of the Church Fathers, and a brief introduction to what the psalms meant for St. Augustine. The reading is Psalm 119 from theEssential Expositions of the Psalms, pp. 59-72. If you do not have the book, the reading (greatly abridged) can be found here: http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1801120.htm
For the January 13th meeting: historical notes on the Psalms
For the December 9th meeting: an exposition on the prophecies of Isaiah.
For the November 11th meeting: an overview of St. Augustine's vision of moral theology based on his treatise of the Sermon On The Mount.
For the October 14th meeting: a summary of the erroneous systems of morality was given. We were to have continued reading St. Augustine's treatise on the Sermon On The Mount.
For the September 9th meeting, an overview of the basic concepts involved in Moral Theology was given. The reading was to begin reading St. Augustine's treatise on the Sermon On The Mount.
Previous readings are available here.
The audio from the general meeting, from May 19th, 2019:
The audio from the postulant meeting, May, 2019:
The audio from the general meeting, from April 7th, 2019:
The audio from the general meeting, from March 10th, 2019:
The audio from the general meeting, from February 10th, 2019:
The audio from the general meeting, from January 13th, 2019:
The audio from the general meeting, from December 9th, 2018:
The audio from the general meeting, from November 11th, 2018:
The audio from the Postulant meeting, from November 3rd, 2018:
The audio from the general meeting, from October 14th, 2018:
The audio from the Postulant meeting, from October 6th, 2018:
The audio from the September 9th, 2018 meeting:
Audio recordings from other previous meetings are available here.
Third Order Simplified Divine Office
Third Order Divine Office downloads are available here.
About the Third Order
- The CRNJ Third Order is an opportunity to become more imbued with the spirituality of the CRNJ, to socialize with others who regularly attend the Priory, and receive assistance in prayer and the sacramental life.
- Meetings will ordinarily be held on the 2nd Sunday of each month at the Priory after the High Mass (around 12:15 pm).
- Regular topics of discussion will be: Scripture, Liturgy, and the writings and person of Saint Augustine of Hippo.
- Meetings from September to February 2017 have been introductory in order to help those interested decide whether they would like to make the commitment.
Required Commitments for the Third Order can be downloaded here: